Setting goals works. Writing them down works even better. And accountability insures that you stay on track til you’ve reached your goal.
This builds self-respect and overcomes poor habits that tend to come from unconscious beliefs such as “I don’t deserve to achieve”, “I’d rather procrastinate than test myself, because I’m afraid of failure and I’m afraid of success”, or just simply “I can’t”. These are markers of unwillingness. So ask yourself am I willing to set a goal, create an action plan, and ask for accountability? If so you are on your way to something new. No matter what the result, if you stick to this plan, you are going to learn something NEW about yourself.
Research on goal-setting at Dominican University, California, done by Gail Matthews indicated that folks who write down their goals, create action plans, and track their progress accomplish significantly more goals than people who just think of them. She also learned that the 3 most important elements for successful goal-setting are accountability, commitment, and writing down goals.
Have you heard the phrase “good goals are SMART? SMART is an acronym that stands for:
- S = Specific: Describe your goal clearly and concisely. Don’t be vague or wishy washy about the outcome you wish to achieve.
- M = Measureable: Develop a tangible way to measure your progress. For example you can’t measure kindness, but you can measure: I will say something uplifting to each person I encounter today and for the next 21 days. Not only is this measureable, it is also a great way to instill a new behavior.
- A = Attainable: Make sure your goals and action plan are manageable and align with your skills, resources, and interests, if not your passion!
- R = Relevant: Is your goal relevant to you? Is it something you value, based on your principles and related to the bigger picture of your life? A great goal clearly answers the question~ “why am I doing this”?
- T = Timeline: A goal without a timeline is just a dream. A timeline, with milestones and an end date, will keep you accountable to yourself (and also if you choose, a friend or mentor, or coach, can help keep you accountable and focused). i.e. “Break your goal into small tasks and set a deadline for each task. It’s not so overwhelming when you do it in small steps.”(Maureen Zappala, “New Year, New Tune”)
My goal is to create and offer a Parent Facilitation Course based on the Living Values Education program by my birthday, May 17th. I realize that besides the “planning and studying stage” of this goal, I must also plant seeds to create an outreach plan for targeting the audience I wish to attract to this course designed to assist parents and their children with hope and enthusiasm, as well as practical life skills that are often overlooked.
I started this project, about a month ago, than set it aside as other priorites started bubbling up, unexpectedly, only to then fizzle out. I can’t let this project fizzle out, because this is something I have control over, as long as I follow my own inner and outer action plans, I won’t have to wait for someone else to give me the okay. I just have to say “OKAY” to myself, every day and get on with a concentrated fermentation process to create constant sparkle and fizz, using probiotics for emerging the inner resources which will affect and shape the outer. In this case, to make Kauai, a happier place for parents and children.
As a very successful dear friend said to me this week, “I don’t believe in LUCK. I’ve worked hard and paid my dues, it hasn’t been a matter of luck.” She has found that others look at her and what she’s done and say ‘Oh, you’re so lucky’. This is actually discounting all the hours of planning, implementing, and achieving that has made her into a smiling success story!!! This is the behind the scenes work that every successful person stokes them self up to do.
So please don’t wish me “Good Luck” because it’s going to take a lot more than a stroke of good luck; its going to take what most of us would call determination!
I am determined to write down my goals, create an action plan, build in accountability, and stay committed to its completion and implementation!!! What I say to myself is GO TEAM~for it is definitely a matter of mobilizing all aspects of my inner and outer worlds and to take loving dominion over my thoughts and actions and yes, words too. This is my goal during this powerful time of resurrection.
This is my determination set down in writing on this significant day of power! All the rest will be going on behind the scenes, until the unveiling takes place in the month of my rebirth on May 17th!